Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Romans to Jude by Chandel L. White

This book was created as a guidebook to help you understand scripture better. It focuses on Romans through Jude for two main reasons. First, they reveal the gospel in its fullness. Second, these books have the most easily ill-defined texts.



The author takes several pages to explain the purpose of his book. He believes that every person should read the gospel for themselves and glean their own understanding of Jesus Christ instead of relying on the doctrines we’ve been raised on. Basically, take it upon yourself to read and understand instead of letting someone else tell you what it means.


As a guidebook, I was expecting some easy answers to pop out, but that's not how this works. White takes you on a step-by-step process of how to read The Bible. I can hear you saying, 'it’s words...I can read' and I would have agreed with you before I read this book. White's method will teach you how to really look at each word and its meaning in each sentence and verse.


I couldn't resist pulling out my own worn Bible and giving White's reading methods a go. I'll be honest, I didn't do exactly as he instructed. Instead, I pulled out the first verse and dissected it. When I read it through the first time, I had a vague knowledge in my head of what I'd just read. I knew basically what it meant. After applying White's methods, I was able to fully understand what I read. I can only imagine what will happen once I dissect the entire Book in this manner.


My only complaint about this study guide is that there is so much time spent emphasizing the author's point in writing this book. I don't disagree with him at all, but I do feel it was a bit overkill. For those of you who want to use this as strictly a study guide, everything is easily compartmentalized so that you can go right to where you want to and return when you have questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The old grey donkey, Eeyore stood by himself in a thistly corner of the Forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to leave a comment. It's appreciated.