Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Trinity by KP Ambroziak‏


As Jacob uncovers the mystery of Stephen's past, he realizes his mentor was embroiled in a plot far more sacrilegious than he originally thought. The scheme of his mentor's death pulls him deeper into the church, bringing him closer to the elusive figure at the head of the Trinity. But once Jacob realizes his role in the Order's machinations, it is too late for him to disentangle his truth from its heresy.
 
A sacrilegious Order, a murdered priest, and a vault of secrets converge to make up "The Trinity."



Ambroziak is one of my favorite 'new' authors.  She captivated my heart with The Journal of Vincent DuMaurier.  I adored her classic way of writing.  She doesn't just tell you a story, she writes literature. Admittedly, the last book, El and Onine, wasn't a favorite of mine.  There wasn't anything wrong with it, other than it just wasn't my genre.  So, when I was given the opportunity to review her latest book, of course I jumped on it!  

First, I am astounded by the amount of research that was put into this book.  I know the writing portion took a great deal of time, but I can't imagine that less than a year was spent in research.  Most of the book takes place within the Catholic church.  Not only are all of the church's rituals and performances created with care, but we also have such incredible religious history and theory.

I'm not normally a conspiracy theory fan, but this one was a little different.  I was so enmeshed in the book, that by the time I realized what was going on, I was too far gone to want to retreat.  As always, Ambroziak's characters are incredibly well done.  They make  you a personal part of their lives immediately.  We see their darkness and their light.  Then we add in murder and intrigue.  

If you enjoy mysteries, anything to do with religion or its theories, and just a great entertaining tale that will stick with you long after, this could definitely be a choice for you.  The intricacies of this book just astounded me.  It started as a huge, tangled ball of yarn with one tempting fray sticking out.  As I unraveled it, I became more and more in awe of the gorgeous colors and textures hidden inside.

Now, a quick warning.  Some people may be offended by some of the content in the book.  Nearly every character in the book is a religious figure of a sort, but it's nearly impossible to tell who the 'good guys' are and who are the 'bad.'  The issues of sexuality and religion are explored in depth here.  Though I personally agree with the sentiment that the characters provide the reader, I know there are people out there who will not.  If differentiating beliefs is difficult for you, this may not be a book you want to pick up.  

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an  honest review.  Shawn

No comments:

Post a Comment

The old grey donkey, Eeyore stood by himself in a thistly corner of the Forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to leave a comment. It's appreciated.