Sunday, March 29, 2009

In My Mailbox

The In My Mailbox meme is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren! Head over to her blog to see what other bloggers got in terms of awesomeness (i.e. books) this week.

I had a decent week. A bit slow for me, but definately not anything to whine about :)


Break of Dawn, Vampire Babylon by Chris Marie Green

Hollywood can really suck…

After facing off against the lethal Vampire Killer, Hollywood stuntwoman Dawn Madison and her friends are reeling. But for Dawn, the pain is much more personal. She’s learned more about her missing father and long-dead mother than she ever wanted to, and her conflicted feelings about both her enigmatic, never-seen boss, Jonah, and P.I. Matt Lonigan are only making things worse.

To save her father Dawn must enter the Vampire Underground, where she will encounter an unthinkable betrayal, and where the question of who is truly good and who is truly evil will become a matter of life, death—and undeath…

I enjoy this series and am looking forward to seeing what happens with Dawn now that she knows where her mother and father are. Got this one from PBS and hope to get to it soon, but the way my reviews are stacking up, it may be a few months.

Vamps, Book 1 by Nancy Collins

When the sun goes down, New York's true elite all head to one place: Bathory Academy, where the young ladies of the finest vampire families are trained in shapeshifting and luring their prey.

Bathory's reigning queen, Lilith Todd, is the daughter of a powerful vampire businessman, and she knows exactly what she wants from life. She wants to look beautiful for eternity and party till the sun comes up with her gorgeous boyfriend, Jules. And she doesn't want any New Blood upstarts standing in her way.

Enter Cally Monture, an unexpected threat from a trash zip code. When their first meeting leads to tragic results, Lilith is hungry for revenge.

This one I got from PBS for my daughter. She enjoys vampire YA. This is the first in the series, and I have the other 2 in this series on my wishlist. It looks good though, so this is one I will have to put on my TBR after she is done.



Hotter Than Hell, Hell on Earth, Book 3 by Jackie Kessler

In Kessler's newest, Daunuan, master seducer and incubus, returns badder than ever. Pan, the new king of lust, wants to appoint Daunuan his second in command, but Daunuan must first prove himself by seducing a woman destined for heaven, claiming her soul for hell. Daunuan thinks this will be an easy assignment, but he doesn't expect to fall in love with Virginia, his target, and be willing to give up hell to ensure that she doesn't get damned for all eternity. Complicating his mission is that someone in hell has it in for him and has sicced a crew of demons on him. Daunuan also cannot come to terms with his feelings for Jezebel, a succubus.

Another one from PBS this week. Unfortunately, this is book 3, and I'm still waiting on book 2. I read book one last year and loved the premise. I can't read a series out of order, fortunately, I can be patient.

Bride by Command, Emperor's Bride, by Linda Winstead Jones

Disguised as a sentinel, the emperor of Columbyana is shocked that his next bridal candidate isn’t interested in becoming an Empress. Determined to teach the haughty beauty a lesson, the Emperor strikes a bargain with her stepfather, and claims her as his bride.

I read Linda Winstead Jones's witch series, then the trilogy of the witch's sons, and now a new series of the daughters of the sons! Confusing? Not really - love her work. I have the whole trilogy now that I have this one, but I haven't started reading them yet. I know once I start, I won't stop. So I'm waiting until I have some time off to dedicate to this one!


Max, Maximum Ride Book 5, by James Patterson

Maximum Ride and the other members of the Flock have barely recovered from their last arctic adventure, when they are confronted by the most frightening catastrophe yet. Millions of fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii and someone--or something--is destroying hundreds of ships. Unable to discover the cause, the government enlists the Flock to help them get to the bottom of the disaster before it is too late.

While Max and her team are exploring the depths of the ocean, their every move is being carefully tracked by Mr. Chu--a criminal mastermind with his own plans for the Flock. Can they protect themselves from Mr. Chu's army of mercenaries and save the ocean from utter destruction?

I won this on a blog contest a few weeks ago and received it this week. I love James Patterson's work, but for some inane reason, I've never read his YA series. It sounds like something I would enjoy though, so this one is going on the shelf until I can gather the first four books.


I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti by Giullia Melucci

From failure to fusilli, this deliciously hilarious read tells the story of Giulia Melucci's fizzled romances and the mouth-watering recipes she used to seduce her men, smooth over the lumps, and console herself when the relationships flamed out.

From an affectionate alcoholic, to the classic New York City commitment-phobe, to a hipster aged past his sell date, and not one, but two novelists with Peter Pan complexes, Giulia has cooked for them all. She suffers each disappointment with resolute cheer (after a few tears) and a bowl of pastina (recipe included) and has lived to tell the tale so that other women may go out, hopefully with greater success, and if that's not possible, at least have something good to eat.

Peppered throughout Giulia's delightful and often poignant remembrances are fond recollections of her mother's cooking, the recipes she learned from her, and many she invented on her own inspired by the men in her life. Readers will howl at Giulia's boyfriend-littered past and swoon over her irresistable culinary creations.

I received this one this week from the great friends at Hatchette. I'm hosting a give away for this book, but it sounded so YUMMY that I wanted to review it myself. Just hope I remember to eat before I read it!

9 comments:

  1. Awesome line up Wendy!

    The vampire books and the Jackie Kessler novel sound awesome!

    I hope you enjoy and will look forward to reading your thoughts.

    Warm Regards
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interested in the Patterson book. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great book week! lots of interesting titles too!! happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great lot! I need to read Break of Dawn, so I look forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh I love Jackie Kessler, but I have been a bad girl and really need to pick up Hotter than Hell. The Vamps book sounds good...another book to add to my already huge TBR pile

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first three sound like something I would like. Enjoy your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems you got some awesome books! Can't wait to read your reviews.
    Enjoy your books!
    My mailbox is also up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great bunch of books. Hope you enjoy them!


    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  9. That vamps book reminds me of a smallville episode haha ..random

    The rest sound pretty good too. :D

    ReplyDelete

The old grey donkey, Eeyore stood by himself in a thistly corner of the Forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to leave a comment. It's appreciated.